National Cherry Blossom Festival Launches Into 2019
October 26, 2018
National Cherry Blossom Festival leaders, DC officials, sponsors, and stakeholders gathered on October 25, 2018 at The Watergate Hotel for a preview of the 2019 National Cherry Blossom Festival (March 20-April 14). Festival officials announced new and expanded programming, and rolled out a new “Spring Blossoms Here” campaign, highlighting the many interpretations of attendees’ unique Festival experiences.
The Festival unveiled the 2019 official artwork, created by Simon Bull, a British-born artist and recipient of numerous national and international awards. Bull has exhibited widely throughout the world, especially in the US, China, Europe and his native London, and has created portraits for boxing legend Mohammed Ali and President Obama. The one-of-a-kind artwork is an annual collector’s item, and is available for order today!
Planning for the 2019 Festival is currently underway, including the return of Blossoms and Baseball with the Washington Nationals on April 3, the North American debut of the “Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon” The Super Live Performance at the Opening Ceremony on March 23, and an inaugural picnic at Oxon Run Park in Ward 8, home to the largest grove of cherry blossom trees in DC outside of the Tidal Basin.
Coming soon, the Festival will be launching an all-new website, with interactive features to help plan your very best National Cherry Blossom Festival experience. Keep checking back as we roll out our new and improved site and full calendar of events!
National Cherry Blossom Festival 2019 signature events include:
• Friday, March 22: Pink Tie Party fundraiser presented by ANA at the Ronald Reagan Building and International Trade Center (early-bird tickets available Nov. 5)
• Saturday, March 23: Opening Ceremony at the Warner Theatre
• Saturday, March 30: Blossom Kite Festival on the Washington Monument grounds
• Saturday, April 6: Petalpalooza at The Wharf
• Saturday, April 13: National Cherry Blossom Festival Parade® presented by Events DC (grandstand tickets on sale now)
• Dates TBD: Tidal Basin Welcome Area and ANA Performance Stage
National Cherry Blossom Festival Premier Events:
• Saturday, March 23: SAAM Cherry Blossom Celebration produced by Smithsonian American Art Museum
• Saturday, April 13: Sakura Matsuri Japanese Street Festival, produced by the Japan-America Society of Washington DC
• Saturday, April 14: Anacostia River Festival produced by the 11th Street Bridge Park