Presented by Amazon
Spring 2022 started at your doorstep with Petal Porches! The National Cherry Blossom Festival invited DC residents to unleash their creativity and celebrate their springtime spirit by decorating their home.
The program is scheduled to be back in 2023 for for a third year by popular demand. Decorations should be out during the Festival from March 20 through April 16 for all to explore. More information on how to decorate and register your home is below. The Festival looks forward to blooming with you.
MAP YOUR FESTIVAL EXPERIENCE
What began with a gift in 1912 at the Tidal Basin is now a four-week extravaganza spanning Washington, DC, and neighboring communities in Maryland and Virginia. Click the filters on our interactive map to see all that the Festival has to offer and craft a tailored experience as you Rediscover Spring. From exciting events to convenient hotels, delectable Cherry Picks restaurants to vibrant Art in Bloom installations, and a jaw-dropping City in Bloom to joyful Petal Porches, see the Washington, DC area as you can only see it once a year!
To use the map, scroll over the “Filter by” menu and check the box next to the locations you wish to see on the map. Hit the plus button in the lower right hand corner to zoom in to see more detail. Click Get Directions to plot a walking, biking, scooter, or driving route to your chosen destination!
Questions? E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Step 1: Register
Registration is FREE. All registered participants will receive a downloadable sign to print and include in your display. Once registered, you will be added to the official Petal Porches Map.
Tips for registering:
- Be creative with your porch name and when describing your display.
- Get your neighbors to register for a chance to compete for Best Blossom Block.
Step 2: Decorate
Don’t have a porch? No problem! Feel free to decorate your yard, sidewalk, window, or something else visible from the street or sidewalk. Petal Porches should be decorated during the dates of the Festival: Monday, March 20 through Sunday, April 16, 2023.
Tips for decorating:
- Bring spring to your neighborhood by decorating in the theme of cherry blossoms, pink, springtime, or create your own theme! Please decorate for a family-friendly audience.
- Shop the Petal Porches Amazon Wishlist.
- Need more inspiration? Check out these how-to videos from local artists for ideas on how to make homemade decorations for your porch, yard, and window.
Step 3: Compete
To add to the excitement, Petal Porches is hosting a neighborly competition with three categories for the chance to win special cherry blossom prizes. To sign up, select “yes” when registering your Petal Porch. You will be contacted by a blossom team member to submit a photo and porch theme by March 22, 2023. All winners will be announced on April 14, 2023. Follow the Festival on social media and subscribe to the newsletter for the latest updates.
The competition categories are:
- Best Blossom Block: Awarded to the best-decorated block of porches. Festival staff will judge based on a block’s participation and overall theme. The winner will receive a neighborhood party on March 26, 2023.
- Prime Petal Porches: Awarded to the best-decorated porch in each DC Ward. Maryland and Virginia will also have one winner per state. Festival staff will select the top three porches per DC Ward, Maryland, and Virginia. Guest judges will tour and select winners. The winner will receive a custom watercolor rendering of their Petal Porches submission photo to remember their winning design for years to come!
- The People’s Petal Porch: Awarded to the most popular porch. The eight DC Ward porches, chosen from Prime Petal Porches, will compete for the most votes in a competition style bracket on the Festival Instagram account. Virginia and Maryland will also go head-to-head in a daily bonus round. The winners from each area will receive a special prize!
CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR 2022 WINNERS
Best Blossom Block: 1300 Block of A St. NE Washington, DC
Prime Petal Porches
Ward 1: Cherry Blossom Embassy – Let Peace Bloom
Ward 2: Minion in Pink
Ward 3: Pretty in Pink
Ward 4: Pink Petal Porch Party
Ward 5: We Flamingos Love Cherry Blossom Festival!
Ward 6: House of 1,000 Cranes
Ward 7: 32nd Sweet Southeast
Ward 8: PinkPalace SomeBunny Guarding the Cherry Blossoms Red Carpet Entrance
Kensington: Bloom Where You Are Planted- Cheery, Cherry Pink Passion for Kensington
Seat Pleasant: Kon’nichiwa Sakura
Silverspring: Lanterns and garlands
Herndon: Cherry Blossom at the Historic Herndon Halloween House
Alexandria: Cherry pink
People's Petal Porch Winners
DC: Ward 4 – Pink Petal Porch Party
MD: Silver Spring – Lanterns and Garlands
Swipe to check out the photos below from previous Petal Porches!
Rules & Regulations
- Displays must be fully decorated during the dates of the Festival: Monday, March 20 through Sunday, April 16.
- Displays must be appropriate for a family audience.
- Displays should not focus on religious, political, ideological, or controversial themes or issues. Use of any political sign, social, or political material is not permitted.
- Petal Porch participants are asked to refrain from portraying any commercial marketing in their displays. Businesses interested in embracing the spring spirit through creative exteriors are encouraged to sign up for the Festival’s City in Bloom program.
- National Cherry Blossom Festival reserves the right to exclude any displays that do not meet our guidelines or that feature content not aligned with our mission.
- Registrations are limited to one per household, per location.
- Registration for the Petal Porches and/or tagging the @cherryblossfest, #PetalPorches, and #RediscoverSpring related photos or videos on social media grants the National Cherry Blossom Festival permission to use your images and footage on any platform.
Want to register and decorate your home as part of Petal Porches?
[INSERT ADDITIONAL LOGOS HERE]